Want to learn to surf? No need to wait until your next trip to the ocean! Sturgeon Falls, Manitoba is a world-class river surfing destination ideal for aspiring river SUP surfers!
“River SUP surfing is surfing in its own right, every bit as fun and exciting as ocean surfing…”
River SUP surfing is more than just an ‘option b’ if you can’t get to the ocean! River SUP surfing is surfing in its own right, every bit as fun and exciting as ocean surfing, and with a very cool advantage! You don’t have to wait for sets. It doesn’t matter if you miss a wave. You just paddle back up and that wave is still there waiting for you! River surf means riding endless surf, on endless waves!
We hook up with local Sturgeon SUP Surf guru Brad Friesen and Neil Gilson of Bearfoot Performance Paddling out of Canmore, Alberta to bring you a comprehensive 3 day weekend River SUP and Surf course! Surf fun is our focus but we also review the theory and skills for safely handling a SUP in Class 1 and 2 rivers, and work on solidifying your fundamental river skills to set you up for greater success. And then we turn our attention to our main focus – fun, fun , fun while running and surfing standing river waves! As always, a key aspect of any river course is hazard and safety awareness, self-rescue skills, river reading and decision-making and we address these throughout all aspects of weekend course.
If you’ve ever wanted to learn to surf standing river waves, or if you want to improve your river surf skills at a truly world class site, then this is the course for you!
Special Warning: You will have lots of fun and you will definitely get wet during this course!
Course Dates: 2018 dates coming soon! Contact us to get your name on the waiting list.
- Prerequisites: Stand up paddlers with previous experience and who have completed our Introduction to River SUP Skills course or equivalent. If that’s you then you are ready to take it to the next level on our Sturgeon Falls River SUP & Surf Weekend!
- Course includes: 3 days of dry land and on-water SUP instruction from certified and experienced Paddle Canada instructors
- 4: 1 student to instructor ratio: Giving you the best in personalized instruction and feedback.
- All technical paddling gear: Please see the Gear and Clothing tab.
- Camping fees: If you are driving to the course you will need a Manitoba provincial park pass for your vehicle.
Please note that the course does not include personal clothing or gear, food, camping equipment, or travel. Please see the Gear and Clothing tab.
Course Cancellation: It is rare that we cancel a session due to weather considerations however we will do so if, in our judgement, the conditions are dangerous or are likely to present a poor learning environment.
Course starts at 9:00 AM. We will let you know the meeting location for day 1 closer to the date as this could change depending on water levels. Please arrive about 15 minutes early, so that you are unloaded, changed, and ready to begin at the start time. Arriving late will cut into your instructional time, and that of others on the course.
- Day 1: Our first day begins on the flat water section of the Whitemouth River where we will review and fine tune our transitional paddling skills (bracing, edging, pivot turns, foot positions, etc.). From there, we move into river safety and river paddling skills (eddy turns, ferries, etc.). After dinner we will hang out around the campfire, share stories and discuss plans for the upcoming day at Sturgeon Falls.
- Day 2: From camp we paddle out to Sturgeon falls to spend the day! Building on the skills learned on Day 1, you will learn how to use the river to your advantage and challenge some bigger rapids and waves. We will also get started into river SUP surfing on standing waves.
- Day 3: On Day 3 we make our way back to Sturgeon Falls for our final day of river SUP surfing. Today’s the big day where we progress to bigger, more challenging, and more fun waves! If you’re not tired yet you will be after today. The course will wrap up late afternoon.
Attention: Although we do our best to work through all course content, please note that logistics, location, timing, itinerary or anything else, may be adjusted by your instructor to ensure group safety, comfort and success, over the duration of the course.
Gear and Clothing
We provide the technical paddling gear that you will need appropriate to the course as part of your course costs:
- Brand name paddleboards by Badfish, Boardworks, and Blue Planet.
- Adjustable paddle, leash, PFD, signal whistle, throwbag, helmet.
- You are welcome to bring and learn on your own paddling gear if you have it. (Please note course fees remain the same.)
You will need to bring your own personal gear and clothing for the session:
- Cold water immersion clothing is a must. As a minimum we recommend a shorty style neoprene wetsuit or one-piece neoprene paddle top combined with neoprene shorts or leggings. And that’s for warm weather conditions.
- We recommend going with full on cold water immersion gear so that you “go for it” without the fear of falling in or getting cold! So a drysuit, a 3mm farmer john wetsuit of surf wetsuit would be the best choice!
- Insulating layers, weatherproof shell layers.
- Towel and warm, dry change of clothes (just in case!)
- Secure protective footwear such as water shoes, paddle shoes, neoprene paddle/surf booties or sport sandals.
- Headwear: sun hat, toque (warm hat), sunglasses with straps.
- Any personal first aid, medications, sunscreen etc.
- Waterproof and floatable camera.
- Food for the weekend, high energy snacks, drinking water.
- Thermos with hot drink for cool days.
- Camping equipment: tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensils, stove, etc.