Learn the theory and skills for safely handling a stand up paddleboard in easy Class 1 rivers and surfing on river standing waves. The emphasis is on mastering the fundamentals of river paddling, along with a strong grounding in water safety and safe paddleboarding practices. Topics include: river hazards & safety awareness, eddy turns, ferries, river reading, river dynamics, efficient use of the river, and surfing standing waves.
Upon successful completion of this course, paddlers will be awarded with the Paddle Canada River 1 SUP Skills Certification, which prepares you for our other SUP skills courses, such as River 2 SUP Skills and private guiding for river surfing on different standing waves such Sturgeon Falls and Whitemud Falls.
If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to paddle rivers and/or surf standing river waves, then this is the course for you!
Special Warning: You will have lots of fun and you will definitely get wet during this course!
Course Dates: 2018 dates coming soon! Contact us to get your name on the waiting list.
Prerequisites: This course is intended for stand up paddlers with previous experience and who have completed our Advanced SUP Flatwater skills course or equivalent. Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Stand up paddleboard, paddle, leash, PFD, and whistle for course duration
- A combination of dry land and on-water SUP instruction from certified and experienced Paddle Canada instructors
Please note that the course does not include personal clothing or gear, food, or travel. Please see the Gear and Clothing tab.
Course Cancellation: It is rare that we cancel a session due to weather considerations however we will do so if, in our judgement, the conditions are dangerous or are likely to present a poor learning environment.
Please arrive about 15 minutes early, so that you are unloaded, changed, and ready to begin at the start time. Arriving late will cut into your instructional time, and that of others on the course.
- Friday Evening Session (6:00PM – 8:00PM): We will meet at Fun Mountain (804 Murdock Road) where we will spend the evening reviewing advanced flatwater skills such as running draws, off-side stroke, bracing, edging, and foot positions.
- Saturday (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM): Saturday will be spent on the Whitemouth River near Elma, Manitoba. Participants will learn about river safety and river paddling skills (eddy turns, ferries, surfing standing waves, etc.). We will conclude the day with a river run down the Whitemouth River.
Attention: Course runs Friday evening and all day Saturday. Although we do our best to work through all course content, please note that logistics, location, timing, itinerary or anything else, may be adjusted by your instructor to ensure group safety, comfort and success, over the duration of the course.
Gear and Clothing
We provide the technical paddling gear that you will need appropriate to the course as part of your course costs:
- Brand name paddleboards by Badfish, Boardworks, and Blue Planet.
- Adjustable paddle, leash, PFD, signal whistle, throwbag, helmet.
- You are welcome to bring and learn on your own paddling gear if you have it. (Please note course fees remain the same.)
You will only need to bring your own personal gear and clothing:
- For colder season/conditions: As a minimum we recommend a shorty style neoprene wetsuit or neoprene paddling top combined with neoprene shorts or pants.
- For warmer season/conditions: quick-dry outdoor athletic gear such as paddling tops, rashguards, breathable hiking layers, merino wool, boardshorts, athletic swimwear. No jeans or cotton!
- Insulating layers, weatherproof shell layers.
- Towel and warm, dry change of clothes.
- Secure protective footwear such as water shoes, paddling shoes/booties, or sport sandals.
- Hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses with straps.
- Any personal first aid, medications, etc.
- Waterproof and floatable camera.
- Food for the day, high energy snacks, drinking water.
Contact us if you have any questions regarding gear.
Thanks for the interest in our River SUP lessons! 2018 course dates will be posted in the new year.
Feel free to contact us if you’re interested in scheduling a private or group lesson.